Wednesday, February 16, 2011

So, in attempt to get closer to the "me" I remember, I am de-cluttering my family's social schedule.  Hubs and I are listing everything out and rating it's importance and deciding together what we really want to do and what we can do without.  One group in particular has been weighed and measured....and found to be lacking.

More than a year ago, I joined a club for intelligent, professional mothers who want to make our community a better place.  When I signed on, it seemed like getting together once a month or so to drink a little while talking about issues and volunteering our time to other groups in our community would be amazing.  And for a while it was.  The past year or so, it has changed.....or my perspective has changed.  The women in it take themselves waaaaaaaay too seriously (something I'm not good at!) and like to drink waaaaaaaaaay more than I do. 

In not so polite terms, it's a bunch of women with over-inflated egos wanting to drink too much and act like drunken whores.

While talking about being a positive force in our small community and promoting sisterhood.

Now, let me say that I love to drink as much as the next person.  A nice frosty beverage can be a wonderful reward for not eating our young or killing your co-workers at the end of a long day. But, I've gone through the period of my life where I drank to get drunk several nights a week. I've made mistakes, built and destroyed friendships, gotten in a few fights, acted like a whore and forgotten a lot of the antics I've pulled due to blacking it out.

Am I proud of those years? No.

Am I ashamed of those years? No really.....those crazy years helped make me who I am today.

Do I want those crazy days back? FUCK NO!

I have a hard time justifying getting drunk enough to climb up on a table and dance at a social/fundraiser with prominent members of our community attending (not even kidding.....one mother to 3 was up on a table in a short loose dress dancing). How can I be involved in an organization that condones that behavior and then raise two girls? If my daughters ever behaved like that as an "intelligent, professional, mom" I would be mortified.

So, it was easy for me to cross that group off of the list.  In fact, I really didn't have to think about it very long.  What bothered me more than anything, is that a group I had such high hopes for, turned out to be such a joke.

Have you ever been let down by a group or club that was not what you thought it was going to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment