Wednesday, August 24, 2011

High School

So this morning I was facebook stalking people I went to high school with and discovered an amusing fact.  Those people who were the star jocks and star assholes, often become drunken fat-asses 10-15 years after graduating!

I was one of those in-betweeners growing up.  I got along okay with the popular kids, but didn't really hang out with them much.  I got along with the not so popular kids, but didn't really hang out with them either.  I was content, for the most part, to hang out with my few close friends and go out of town to hang out with other in-betweeners from other schools.  I'd like to say I didn't long to be one of the popular kids, but I can't.  I always wanted to date the hot guys in my school and belong to the group that went to all of the parties and had amazing stories to share on Monday mornings by our lockers.  Now, I'm kinda glad I didn't.

Through the wonders of modern technology, I am able to check in on those popular kids and see what they are doing now.  Some have great jobs and look to be living a great life, but many of them seem to drink.  And drink a lot without doing much else.  As in enough to lose those 6 pack abs that made the guys look so hot in high school and carry a full time keg around with them hidden in their shirts.  And while the girls may have even bigger boobs now then they did back in the day, I was distracted by the beer guts underneath of them and the jowls hanging beneath their bright smiles.

I may be shallow to take joy from this, but I really don't care.  As one of the kids that wanted to be accepted by those kids, I now see that their life is pretty empty.....except for their glasses of booze.  I have to laugh when I realize that while my body has changed and shifted after having 2 kiddos, I weigh the same as I did when I graduated high school.  I have a husband that supports me and loves me.  I have 2 amazing little girls, that are gorgeous and can be super sweet and full of shit at the same time.  We own an incredible home in the middle of nowhere in a community where Hubs and I are both respected as active people in our church and other organizations.  My life is good.

So, drink up all of you asshats that never thought to invite or include people that were beneath your lofty tower of popular status.  Because now I can't help but wonder if you wouldn't be just a little jealous of me.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!!! I was one of the in-betweeners/not-so-popular and often wondered what it would be like to be popular ... but glad now that I wasn't - I wouldn't be the person I am today!

    ReplyDelete